Monday, April 26, 2010

Embracing Truth Wherever It Can Be Found: Some Answered Questions about Baha'i

I've been continuing to read the book that my neighbor is letting me borrow called "Some Answered Questions" I'm in the thick of the section on Christian topics and will admit honestly that I'm struggling with it. I will not argue that the author is incorrect as he ascribes certain alternative meanings to Christian scripture. For example, Christ wasn't literally resurrection bodily, but his cause experienced a figurative resurrection when his followers moved past grieving his death and turned to spreading the Christian teachings throughout the world.

However, I find it very frustrating that he casts a broad stroke over Christianity with blanket statements teaching, specifically, that Christians (all) accept the idea of original sin and other Christian views. Over and over again, I find myself thinking that the author is missing understanding of LDS theology or, perhaps, worse is ignoring it by not addressing it. My guess is that LDS theology is grouped into Christianity without an understanding of its differences. At the time when "Some Answered Questions" was written, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was not very well known and having many fewer than the membership of 14 million today.

Its not surprising that LDS doctrine is missing, though I feel its important for the book to be relevant to me and other Latter-day Saints, that the Baha'i need to address Mormonism separately when addressing Christian topics. I've done some searches for comparative analyses between Baha'i and LDS and I haven't found anything. For comparitive religion hounds, that would be a good topic to explore. I'd love to see some of the people from the Maxwell Institute write up this book in particular. It also comes to mind that I could write a scholarly review of it.

I have an idea of how much effort and time that would take and I'm not sure I'm up for the task. That's the nice thing about not having deadlines. I don't have to feel rushed to get it done and I can take the time to really research and refine it. An interesting thought...

No comments: